Graduate Student Spotlight: Sangwon Lee

PhD Student and Graduate Research Assistant, The College of Social Work

Tell us about your background. How did your experiences lead you to become a graduate student at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville?

Before dedicating myself to social work, I was a physical therapist for children and juveniles with disabilities for five years in Korea. After I received my master’s in social work in Korea in 2015, I moved to Europe to work as a social worker in international organizations for people with developmental disabilities in Ireland and Germany for a period of four years. Upon my return to Korea in 2020, I worked as a research assistant at a research institute affiliated with the Seoul Metropolitan Government, where I conducted key research to develop an evaluation for the management of social work practices in Seoul’s public sector, as well as guidelines for social work practice to response COVID-19.

Starting a PhD at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, was such a turning point that changed my path in life. When I was working as a physical therapist in Korea or a social worker in Europe, I had not imagined that I would do a Social Work doctoral program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, in the United States. However, my collective field and research experiences have led me here to study the spatial inequalities experienced by systematically marginalized populations, including people with disabilities, in disaster and climate-related risk contexts.

Please describe your experience partaking in events and workshops through TLI and CIRTL programs. How has this experience supported your overall goals as a graduate student and a future educator?

After entering the PhD program, I fell in love with research. Specifically, learning statistics and using them in my research was so fascinating. I thought statistics was a special skill that only smart people could do. However, the more I learned statistics, the more I realized it was my prejudice. Eventually, I decided to become a teacher who taught the foundations of research and basic knowledge of statistics in an easy and student-centered way. I wanted to get across the joy of researching students with the same prejudice as me.

While considering how to make it a reality, I had a chance to participate in UT Teaching & Learning Innovation’s 2023 CIRTL summer F.U.E.L. (Facilitating Undergraduate Evidence-Based Learning) program. In the program, I was able to rethink my identity and beliefs about teaching and learning. I learned various in-class activities and evaluation skills and how to use them effectively. Also, I gained knowledge about evidence-based teaching strategies that significantly improve student learning. I was convinced I could apply these knowledge and skills to convey the foundation concepts of research and basic knowledge of statistics. Finally, I used evidence-based teaching strategies in my Foundations of Social Work Research class for undergraduates in the 2023 fall semester, and the results were successful. Students mentioned that their perspective on statistics has changed positively after taking the class. Many students also liked this class because it helped them practice scientific thinking and questioning, which is one of the foundation skills of research.

Studying statistics is still a hurdle for many students who try to do social science research. To alleviate students’ fear of research and statistics, I plan to continue to utilize the knowledge and skills acquired in the F.U.E.L. program. Also, I will continue participating in the outstanding programs and seminars of the UT Center for Teaching and Learning Innovation and CIRTL, which will help me grow as an excellent researcher and teacher.